We recognize that it is challenging to navigate graduate school as an international student. We want you to know that you have a right under federal law to join or organize a union, regardless of your citizenship or visa status. Here are a few resources that our fellow international graduate students find helpful to navigate thier professional and personal lives. 

If you want to help with the page, join our Slack Channel #International-Student-Committee

  1. Academic
  2. Financial
  3. Life Services
  4. Health and Wellbeing
  5. Going Out


Language Communities/ESL Assistance
  • You will need to apply for SSN physically at your local Social Security Administration (SSA) office.
    • Address: 120 Athens Way, Nashville, TN 37228
  • SSN Support Letter Request (if employed on campus)
  • If not employed on campus and J1 – “Invitation or employment letter”
  • Valid passport
  • Valid I-94
  • Most current I-20 (F1 visas only) or DS-2019 (J1 visas only)


Banks and Credit Unions

Life Services

Internationally- Oriented Community Organizations 
Shopping/Grocery Stores
Phone Plans 

Health and Wellbeing

Going Out

Restaurants (Internationally-Owned)


  • Hearts | Australian-owned coffee shop, bar, light fare 
    • 914 Gallatin Ave, Nashville, TN 37206

British/Irish Food


  • Hearts Australian-owned Coffee Shop | Bar | Brunch
    • 914 Gallatin Ave, Nashville, TN 37206

Indian Food

Japanese & Thai

Mediterranean Food

Nigerian Food